Thursday, February 14, 2013

Week 6 EOC: Illicit Trade

        I believe that illicit trade is a large "problem" that is probably too complex for the average person to grasp. I don't know much about trade and the economy, but I do know that "stealing" or counterfeiting is extremely frowned upon. We were asked the question earlier that if we could buy something that was fake, but for a cheaper price would we buy it.
        I'm just going to use a DSLR as an example, since I am a filmmaker and lenses and cameras are things that I'm very much into. Clothes I cannot grasp the importance of, but lenses and cameras can last a hell of a lot longer than a piece of fabric, but I am getting off topic. So, let's just say that someone offered me a camera that had the same quality as a 7D, blackmagic camera, or a Lumix HG for a fraction of the price. I would not hesitate to jump at the chance. Okay, let me be honest and say that I would probably be a little hesitant about the quality.
      Some argue that the problem with buying things that are fake is that you have no idea on how the product came to be. The argument presented is that a lot of "knock off" products are covered in dirty money and blood. But how many of us know how much blood, sweat, and dirty money goes into our legitimate purchases. Who says that just because you walked into a Louis Vutton store that it doesn't have the stench of some sinister practice behind it.
      I believe as consumers, we are prone to aesthetics, which seems to win us over every time, and helps us get to sleep a little bit better at night. How many faithful shoppers would still shop at Prada had they found out about a few little dirty deals done in the back room? Everyone that's who.

No comments:

Post a Comment